Want to hear from some giants in the online business space about what’s changed in business the past 10 years? You should.
Ever wonder what is actually important to learn when it comes to building your own business? Are you getting left behind by the ever-changing entrepreneurial landscape? Then you better get into this episode.
Everyone knows there’s so much we need to learn when starting a business. We simply don’t know everything we need to before starting our businesses.
But that begs the question; what’s worth learning and what isn’t? If you waste your time learning unnecessary things, you are the only one who pays for it. Bottom line: you are just hurting yourself and your business.
In today’s episode, we are talking about exactly what has changed in online business for indie entrepreneurs over the last 10 years. Because if we can figure out and be smart about what has been changing, maybe that can help us better prepare for what will change in the future.
Today we welcome a very special guest, Pat Flynn, to discuss the way online business has changed over the past 10 years with Fizzle’s CEO, Corbett Barr.
Both Corbett and Pat are seasoned entrepreneurs who have supported themselves and their families through indie online business for 10+ years. Pat is the founder of Smart Passive Income where he teaches others, through his own experiments, exactly how to stop trading time for money and start building a business that works. And Corbett is the Co-Founder and CEO of Fizzle.co, which provides community feedback and friendship alongside high quality training for people earning a living doing something they care about.
Both these guys get into amazing insights that teach and inspire in this informal, conversational and entertaining episode! Enjoy 🙂
“2 online biz giants talk about what’s changed in the past 10 years”
Key Points From This Episode:
- Overview of Pat’s entrepreneurial journey and shifts he’s experienced in the past. [0:02:59.0]
- The consistency of content value, despite the changing multi-media landscape. [0:05:04.0]
- How the mobile platform has increased its presence in online business. [0:07:46.0]
- Understanding the future of mobile as augmented reality and virtual reality comes into play. [0:10:16.0]
- Why now it is more valuable to first be present on one platform and mastering it. [0:13:00.0]
- The turning point that pushed Pat to create his first online course. [0:16:39.0]
- What has not changed about delivering an online information product? [0:19:55.0]
- How to make your online course stand out in a very saturated market. [0:23:16.0]
- Understanding the algorithms that are controlling how we connect. [0:29:18.0]
- Recognizing how to capitalize on a business “wave” or trend. [0:31:00.0]
- Why it is important to never put all your eggs in one “business basket”. [0:33:08.0]
- Creating customized automation and a personalized experience with your email list. [0:36:18.0]
- How team collaboration has changed with the introduction of new tech and tools. [0:39:33.0]
- Increase in competition in the online space; podcasting, social media, and inbox. [0:43:16.0]
- Why it has become easier to create a group of super-niched super fans. [0:46:08.0]
- How people are now running entire businesses on social media platforms. [0:49:15.0]
- Managing your expectations about online business and putting in the hard work. [0:51:03.0]
“When you know who you are and you utilize those super powers to help you with your business, you can’t lose.”— @PatFlynn
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business
Every week we talk with entrepreneurs. We talk about what’s working and what isn’t. We talk about successes and failures. We spend time with complete newbies, seasoned veterans, and everything in between.
One topic that comes up over and over again with both groups is mistakes made in starting businesses. Newbies love to learn about mistakes so they can avoid them. Veterans love to talk about what they wish they had known when starting out.
These conversations have been fascinating, so we compiled a list of the 10 mistakes we hear most often into a nifty lil’ guide. Get the 10 Most Common Mistakes in Starting an Online Business here »